Sunday, July 22, 2018

2018 CRFL Breakouts, Busts

NFL training camps are up and running. With preseason games starting this upcoming week, football has finally arrived. With that in mind, I decided to field some questions about predictions for breakouts, busts, etc in the NFL and CRFL. Scott, the owner of the Northern Lights, also joined in on the discussion. Time will tell if we nail any of these predictions (or miss completely).

Who will be the breakout player of the season?

Jeremy - I missed the mark with my Ameer Abdullah prediction last season. Hopefully I'm not jinxing Corey Davis, but the former #5 overall pick is my guess for breakout player of the year. Stealing new offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur from the Rams should only bolster a potentially potent passing attack, and I think Davis benefits the most from it. He'll be a WR1 in 2018.

Scott - It's hard not to go with one of my guys, because I have been calling Kenny Golladay would be special since he entered the league, but I'll have to go with Dalvin Cook. Since Cook's injury, it seems like people have forgotten how much he turned things up before he got hurt. I think he could end up a Top 7 RB this year.

Who will be the biggest bust of the season?

Jeremy - I went with a big prediction last season and looked stupid for it, so I'll stick with a lukewarm take this time around. I think the addition of C.J. Anderson spells trouble for Christian McCaffrey owners this season. He'll continue to be pigeonholed into the mostly third down RB role that will prevent him from living up to the #8 overall draft slot he was selected in.

Scott - Though he ended as a top 10 RB last year, I'm gonna have to go with Mark Ingram. He is going to start the season with a 4 game suspension, which I think is bad news for him. I believe the Saints will realize Kamara is the only superstar they need, and Ingram will ultimately fall to his shadow.

Who will be the breakout rookie of the season?

Jeremy - Saquon Barkley is the low-hanging fruit, so I'll bypass on him and say Rashaad Penny. The Seahawks haven't invested in the RB position in a long time. This past spring they ended those woes with a huge statement is taking Penny in the first round. I expect him to be the bell-cow in an offense that is now refocused on running the football.

Scott - The obvious choice is Saquon Barkley. The Giants are losing their minds about him, and he is one of the best RB prospects we have ever seen, but don't sleep on DJ Moore. I think he will be the first great rookie WR we have had in a while.

Who will be the biggest disappointment among the rookies?

Jeremy - I could be completely off base, but I feel like the Royce Freeman hype has gotten slightly carried away. Some experts have basically written his name in ink for the, "next Kareem Hunt" category and I see him underwhelming compared to these lofty expectations.

Scott - I believe that will be Michael Gallup. I don't believe he is a special talent, and I think he was drafted to a team that spreads the ball now. I don't think he was drafted as Dez Bryant's replacement. I believe he is overrated and won't be anything more then another role player.

Who will be the surprise breakout team in the CRFL this season?

Jeremy - Huskerfan feels poised for a big year, but I'll go with Desert Dreamers here. Adding Aaron Rodgers was a huge boon for the team, and I think he alone keeps them in games every week and propels the Dreamers to a surprise wildcard berth.

Scott - After several years of living off of waiver wire pick ups, I believe Connell Conquistadors could look to try and contend. With Connell snagging Michel in the 2nd round, he has a good starting lineup, always finds some of the best depth in the league, and has picked up a top 3 defense for the past 2 years. Don't sleep on Connell.

Who will be the surprise bust in the CRFL this season?

Jeremy - Spokane Spartans has finished 2nd place and 3rd place in the last two seasons. Really! The LeSean McCoy debacle is just the first sign that this team is well overdue to come back to Earth.

Scott - I think after several seasons of contending, I believe Huskerfan will miss the playoffs. Husker drafted very badly in the early rounds, and has a starting line up full of players that have big question marks next to them in my opinion. He will also be playing in a harder division than the last couple of seasons.

Point blank: Who wins the CRFL in 2017 and why? 

Jeremy - I predicted Kaneohe Ikaika Warriors last season and missed by a mile. Ready for this crazy prediction? I'm doubling down and saying Kaneohe Ikaika Warriors wins this season. I think Cam Newton, Rex Burkhead, Greg Olsen, and Nick Chubb all have big seasons, adding depth to the core of LeVeon Bell, Lamar Miller, and Antonio Brown. Warriors get revenge for missing the playoffs last season after having dominated the league for years.

Scott - Gem State Bruins. When Dalvin Cook is your depth at RB, and your other 3 RBs are all top 10 RBs, you have a team that is supposed to win every week. Gem State should take it home. But I'd like to think Northern Light will take this years title. But logically, I have to go with Gem State.

No comments:

Post a Comment