Friday, March 13, 2015

BLOCKBUSTER: Megatron traded to Diamond Head

-Original Stockholm Lion traded
Way back when the Columbia River Fantasy League was brand new, Calvin Johnson was selected at 2.04 by the then Stockholm Lions (now Boise Bears). It's been 4 years since that draft, but Megatron was the last remaining original draft pick on the Boise Bears roster. As the owner of the Bears, I'll admittedly concede I trade players a lot, but Johnson was always a mainstay on the roster.

Not anymore.

On Thursday afternoon, the Diamond Head Paniolos and Boise Bears reached a deal for the superstar WR. The Paniolos were poised to select at least two top rookies in the first round, but instead exchanged them for the sure-fire stud in Calvin Johnson.

"I think he can be a great player for me.  He's this generation's Jerry Rice" said Wyokie808, the owner of the Diamond Head Paniolos. Johnson, who recorded 1077 receiving yards and 8 TDs last season, was slowed down by injuries during the 2014 season before returning to his dominant form to close the season. Johnson has been one of the NFL's best WR since 2008, if not the best.

Even with today's trade, Wyokie808 has plans to get back into the 1st round, "I REALLY want to get back into the first round, but apparently no one wants Newton!!!" The Paniolos have been shopping Newton the last few weeks.

On my end, it was hard to let Megatron go. He's been a force for Stockholm/Boise. That said, my team is getting old and I need to invest in talented rookies. Lynch, McCoy, and Green won't be guaranteed RB1/WR1 for much longer. I could afford to let one of my WRs go with three being left over. Much like Wyokie808 is hoping this trade doesn't come back to bite him, I'm hoping Megatron doesn't make me look like a fool next fall and going forward.

I'll have more posts on trades and other developments leading up to the NFL Draft in late April.

No comments:

Post a Comment